Poisoning in Pets: What to Do | Chandler Vet

Poisoning in Pets: What to Do

Pet poisoning can happen in an instant, but fast action could make a huge difference in your pet’s recovery. March is Poison Prevention Month, so take this opportunity to educate yourself on how to handle a poisoning event. Symptoms of toxicity in pets can vary in severity, depending on what your pet ate and how much. Our Chandler vet wanted to share some tips on how to recognize poisoning and what you can do to help treat it. Keep reading to learn more about poison prevention for your furry friend.

Clear Indicators of Poisoning

Symptoms of poisoning can set in immediately or they may take several hours, depending on what your pet ingested. The clearest signs of toxicity in pets are:

  • excessive drooling
  • excessive thirst
  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • pale or yellow gums
  • seizure
  • unsteadiness, dizziness

How to Handle Poisoning – Take Immediate Action

If you notice your pet acting strange, or if they seem to be visibly ill, it is essential that you contact our Chandler vet right away. Calm and quick action can make all the difference when it comes to treating your pet in case of poisoning. You can have your pet drink 3% hydrogen peroxide solution to help them throw up whatever is in their stomach. We recommend a dosage of 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds of weight, but no more than 3 tablespoons. This will irritate their stomach enough that they should throw up whatever they ate within the last few hours. You should also consider bringing them into the office to be treated professionally if you are able to. Our team can safely help your pet throw up and hydrate them with fluids to help them feel better. We can also monitor any other underlying symptoms that you may not be able to treat at home, such as racing heartbeat, internal bleeding, or even kidney failure.

Keep Dangerous Items Out of Reach

Common household items that can quickly become dangerous for your pet include cleaning solutions, car maintenance liquids, gardening products, wild mushrooms, certain plants, and even some human food.Pesticides and herbicides can cause severe reactions, so keep your pet out of unfamiliar lawns. Even “organic” garden fertilizers can be hazardous to pets, so try to minimize your pet’s exposure to them. If you like to garden, keep all your plants fenced or otherwise inaccessible to your pet. Make sure any cleaning solutions or car maintenance liquids, like antifreeze, are stored away in closed cabinets. Minimize the sharing of human food with your pet, because you never know when something may not agree with their stomach. Never feed your pet onions, garlic, chives, leek, chocolate, or anything “sugar-free” because those foods can cause poisoning in animals.

If you have any questions or if you would like further information about how you can protect your pet from poisoning, call our Chandler vet. Our team can offer you specific advice for any items in your home that you are worried may pose a risk to your pet’s health. Contact our office by calling (520) 829-5166 today.

Leave a Reply